Monday, January 11, 2010

my funny micro-date

About a mile from our house is a Pei Wei restaurant, and Christopher and I often take little dates there, leaving the kids at home for a bit so we can spend a little time together. The food is always good and hot, the floor is red, and you can eat as many fortune cookies as you want--and how sweet is that?

On Saturday, we escaped once again for our little micro-date at Pei Wei, and found it to be a super-busy afternoon, so we were scrunched in between 2 other couples at narrow tables along the back wall. No big deal. We had some things we needed to talk about, but nothing so heavy that it needed to be secretive, so we didn't mind it.

The two ladies to my left were talking about how much they loved Pei Wei, when suddenly one of them turned to me and said, "Do you two just LOVE this place?" We answered that yeah, we loved it, because it was so yummy but also close to home, etc etc. It came out that we had 5 kids at home, and then her eyes got wide as they came to rest on my rounded belly; she blurted out jocularly, "You're PREGANANT AGAIN?!?" At that point, half the restaurant turned completely around and stared at me. I waved, Miss America-style, and acknowledged that yes, we're pregnant again.

With the other diners still looking on, this flamboyant lady turned to Christopher now and said, still in an incredulously loud voice, "You IMPLANTED your SPERM in her SIX TIMES?!?" "You TURNED her into a BROOD MARE?!?" Christopher laughed and said something like, "Yup!" in a tone that landed somewhere between embarrassment and pride (mostly pride, as I later found out; when I asked him if he was horrified by that, he said, "Nope, with 6 kids, it's a little hard to deny!")

We went on to have a really fun and enlightening conversation with these two ladies and I even shared my shrimp with her. We talked about how she hated her one childbirth experience, how she hated mothering, how she wondered if we had fun with that many kids and whether I ever cry.

In the end, we didn't mind our date being interrupted or having the whole restaurant know that my husband is a stud (uhh, literally?!); it was a fun encounter and an unexpected twist to our day.

--Teri.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Oh, my goodness. I would have just crawled under the table. You are my hero!! Can't wait for Mr. Baby--we're probably coming up this summer. I promise I won't try to stay at your house! 10 kids in one house would be quite a lot. Love you!