Thursday, May 28, 2009

dreaming in reverse

There are times when I guess my mind decompresses from the stress of the day by replaying its events, albeit bizarrely, in the form of my nightdreaming. I usually awaken the next morning somewhat confused, maybe even with some blurred lines between what was real and what was the dreaming, but ready to move on with the day.

Things have been changing a little lately.

Lately I'm sort of dreaming in reverse. Well, not reverse exactly. It's more like my mind has a backload of work that it has to process through, so my mind and my dreams are off-sync by about 4 days right now. In other words, last night I dreamed about the events of about 4 days ago; the night-before-last, I dreamed about what happened 5 days ago. I suspect that, because today was kind of boring (or at least low-key, because I was taught long ago that you're only 'bored' if you're 'boring'--ack!) I might catch up on 2 days' worth of dreaming and will have some really wild mashup of Tuesday and Wednesday. This might be a good thing, since life has been going by too quickly lately and I can't remember so well, at least when I'm waking, what happened that long ago.

It would really be cool if I not only caught up in my dreaming, but actually got ahead a little bit and started having contorted prophetic dreams about what was going to happen in the next couple of days. Maybe if I sit really still for about 48 hours, my mind will have a chance to catch up and show me some interesting things.

Then again, I might just have desperately long, dreadfully boring dreams about myself sitting, waiting. Hmm.
--Teri.

1 comment:

Matt said...

At least your dreams are seemingly coherent, or at least you're able to decipher them properly. My dreams last night consisted of me riding in a golf cart with part of the crew of Serenity, trying to find the other crewmembers, being chased by many, many black bears. Ominous.

It is interesting how the brain accepts information, or I might say how we allow our brains to accept information. I was reading just this morning, very briefly, about savants and their genetic tendencies; we always have paid special attention to our nightly dreamings... talking orca whales come to mind, but I suppose John doesn't read this.

As far as boring goes, I never did pay any attention to those teachings. I think creative minds must transcend the sometimes-dullery of everyday life, giving us perspective, perseverance, providence.

And now I've gone and had too much tequila.

'night, sister, and may you have long, boring retrospective dreams, if that is what you so desire.

~Matt