Tuesday, March 23, 2010

elisha's life on the run

So I lost my kid yesterday. Oh, and I'm due to give birth this week. He's not quite 2 and somehow escaped my notice for, ohh, about 4 minutes while we were at a friend's new apartment with another friend and all of our children, 11 in all, 3 of which are precisely Elisha's size. He trucked his little self down the stairs, out the door, and down the street; most of that time we were frantically looking for him around the apartment, and then spread out towards the great mortifying outdoors. After about 45 seconds, we saw a lady down the street crouching down and it ocurred to us that maybe she had Elisha, so I sent Ben down the street to check while I waddled with all my might after him. Sure enough, this kind lady had intercepted my mischievous toddler in the middle of the road, heading towards God-knows-where, and her first impulse (instead of looking around to see 8 children and a herniated woman running around like maniacs) was to call the police.

Nice.

So now I had to talk to the police, tell them my name, why my child got away from me and, dread of dreads, my location. They sent a car around to scope out the situation, and the lady-cop who came in began asking me the probably-usual gauntlet of questions, like how he got out, how it was I didn't manage to notice this, et cetera, et cetera. What she said and what I heard were, naturally, two different things entirely, so my rough translation would go something like:
"Are you an imbecile? Can you not keep up with a 2-year-old?"
"I should probably haul you in now for child neglect."
"What, your children are running wild through the streets and you're PREGNANT again?!?"

After this, she left, and I searched high and low for some duct tape. Unable to find any, I merely became incredibly irritable for the remainder of the afternoon, questioning my basic competency not only as a mother but as a human being and a citizen of Earth, and suddenly craving something very, very sweet to take away the bitter taste of my run-in with the law.

--Teri.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Teri, you are a fabulous mother and person. Elisha is quiet and curious and like any 2yo FAST with little impulse control. It could have happened to any of us.

Anonymous said...

Amen to Anonymous-what he/she said!

Sharon said...

The lady who found Elisha might have been an angel and didn't know not to call the cops?
It could have been a bad person...so God was watching over the situation. I believe He watches when us mom's have short glitches in life. We all have them don't we?
Relax and eat your cheesecake.
EGBAR !

joycebpowell said...

I am so sorry that happened to you! I know that "Kate" had bad issues, but I understood her constant counting of her children-I know you are on the lookout all the time too, but for a tiny bit of time, Elisha got away. All is well, mother hen, gather your chicks around you and love on them. I wish I was there to eat cheesecake withyou.
love,
joyce