Friday, September 4, 2009

underthinkers anonymous

I think I finally got my fill of idiotic responses last night while trying to contribute a tidbit of perspective to someone's sentimental but not very well thought-out battle anthem for standardized healthcare in America. The original phrase went something like 'No one should die because they cannot afford healthcare, and no one should go broke because they get sick.' In other words, 'The government should pay for our healthcare, and the government should pay for our healthcare.' Which sounds nice. Really nice, especially for people who have health problems and are uninsured and are having a tough time paying for it. I get that. And I'll even qualify that by saying that my family constitutes a few of those 'millions of uninsured Americans' who can't afford 'decent' healthcare, and yeah, it's frustrating and insecure.

But really, at its core, that statement is oversimplified. People hear the siren song of free something-or-other and somehow forget that there is always a price to be paid. And the bigger the sugar cube we think we're getting, the bigger the pricetag. So I commented on this, that we need to remember that, for all the media hype about how wonderful universal healthcare is, I hear stories from our neighbors in the north that you have to be prepared to wait up to 2 years for things like major surgeries. Two years! That's a price to be paid. And I'm not even talking about the taxes, just the logistics.

So some other person wrote in with the stereotypical, "Wow, I guess these people want people to die and go broke! I thought the debate was a lot simpler than that!" Now, normally, I would calmly try to further elucidate my point, which I believe is valid to the discussion, but last night I just snapped instead, and whipped back, "Yep, I'm all into death and poverty, can't you tell? Good grief." Which is not a very diplomatic approach to a debate, to be sure, but really, how sad is it that people get so attached to what they underthink will be the cure-all for a bad situation that they cannot intelligently discuss factors they hadn't considered?

Now, I realize that some of you reading this may be proponents of Obama's healthcare plan, and for those of you that are, I can understand your reasons, and I respect that--a lot. I'm not presuming to hold a corner on the facts in this very heated debate, and I understand that there's a lot to consider. Maybe universal healthcare is a great idea, and maybe it's a terrible one. Maybe it's just so-so. Maybe it'll work, and maybe it won't, and maybe it will just sorta work. Our system as it stands is certainly broken and in need of major overhaul, so don't assume that what Obama says of conservatives is true, that we just want to keep things the way they are.

But please, please, oh, pretty please, whatever your leaning, don't underthink the issue and become the voices of a million clanging cymbals not saying anything at all. There will always be heated debate about every political, moral, and social issue there is, but that never, never, never makes one side stupid because they disagree or have something dissenting to factor into the conversation. Have we lost the ability for civil discourse entirely?

--Teri.

2 comments:

blessednana said...

You go, Teri! You said it very well. Let's all put some time and thought into the subject of healthcare (or anything for that matter) before we open our mouths and let our empty minds fall out. At least, then, we can give an educated opinion and lessen the risk of "attacking."

Anonymous said...

Have we lost the ability for civil discourse entirely?

I believe the participants have not changed; just the ability for the participants to be heard.

Participants
1. Those who can only say “boo, hisss”. They can often be identified by their use of salty language.
2. Those who can only say what has already been said. They can be replaced by a parrot or tape recorder.
3. Those that start out with a well thought out position but ultimately deteriorate into comparing a person to Hitler or people to the Nazis.
4. Those that can articulate their position and have a platform to shout from.

The internet has allowed more people to be heard and I personally believe the debate over healthcare is not well defined and that cause some normally smart people to become parrots. Six months passed before the 1,000 plus bill was written and now they are playing the Hoky Poky with the Public Option.

I will be listening closely to Obama’s speech on Wednesday.

--MBozeman