Thursday, July 9, 2009

thoughts from afar

I dropped a bombshell on Facebook this afternoon, confessing that I've finally come to terms with the fact that I've been involved in a very intimate long distance relationship for a very, very long time.

We'll see if I get any turned heads.

Who is it? What is his name? Does Christopher know?? Well, yeah, Christopher knows. And I'm pretty sure he's happy for me. I talk about this relationship all the time with him, in fact, even when things feel a little rocky and I'm not sure that both sides of the relationship are working out.

It's not too hard to guess that my distal infatuation is with, in fact, the God of the universe. It just struck me finally this morning that my relationship with Him is so like a long-distance romantic relationship, always longing for more, never spending enough quality time together, worrying that something is wrong, interpreting and misinterpreting silences, always giddy over the next encounter.

Maybe this makes it a little easier to wrap my mind around the intangibility of my faith and the awkwardness of not having a sense of solid presence of God in my life all the time.
--Teri.